Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Slight Edge

"The Slight Edge" by Jeff Olson is another amazing self development book that I have been reading in the past month. It's quite similar to "The Compound Effect" but in a slightly different context. I half read halfway through the book and just wanted to share some highlights that I think will be extremely effective in becoming successful in your goals, your fitness, your health, your relationships, your finances, and life in general.

Here's the first one.

"When people are looking down the barrel of failure in their lives, they will do whatever it takes to get themselves moving, something, anything, to start climbing upward toward the point of survival. And then, once they get to the point where they're keeping their heads above water, they start heading back down again. As they start getting close enough to the failure line that they can see it coming, they go, "Whoops, I'm headed towards failure!" and then they do whatever it takes to turn their trajectory around and start heading back up...and the cycle repeats."

Why do we do this? I know I've done it so many times. For instance, my finances. In more detail, my credit card debt. I have the knowledge on how to pay it off, I know what I need to do in order to pay it down as quick as I can in order to keep paying interest and I know what I should not do in order to avoid my credit score. However, why do I still continue to max out my credit cards? Why do I say to myself, "well it's just this one time." But yet again, I keep repeating these bad habits. Because it's so easy to do. It's so easy to just jump right back into what you did before. It's easy to say, well I can just do it again one more time. What we don't realize is that it's just as easy to tell yourself "no, not this time." It's just as easy to grab that credit card and cut it into small little pieces and throw it in the trash so that you're not tempted to spend the money you worked so hard to pay off. How often do we do this to ourselves?

Secondly.

"No matter how good the information is, it won't do you any good unless you have the right catalyst that will let you apply it effectively. Your philosophy creates your attitudes, which creates our actions, which create your results, which creates your life."

This is so true. You are capable of being successful only if you truly dedicate yourself. What is your philosophy? What is your philosophy in your health and fitness? Sure we all have that dream body we dream of but do we actually put the time in to actually make it come true. Do we have the catalyst, that chemical change that we embark upon ourselves to undergo that permanent change? Of course we do. But it's how we choose to apply it effectively. It's driven within our minds, our attitude, our actions!

Thirdly.

"It's never too late to start. It's always too late to wait."

How many of us say, "ugh someday. Someday I'll make it happen" or "one day I'll get back into a workout routine" or "yea, I'll look into starting a retirement fund", etc. Then a year goes by and you're still telling yourself the same thing; nothing happens. Two years go by and you're still waiting for it to happen but have not applied a single effort. Sure life can get busy but we still make time for what we want. So we have no one to blame but ourselves for how our life has turned out. We have no one to blame for how our fitness has declined or how our eating habits aren't up to par. We base our daily living from habits we've acquired through years and years of influences. It all starts from our childhood and bleeds into our adulthood. We never stray away from what and who influenced us. Not until we realize that we can change. We're capable of adapting. It's okay to slowly incorporate new healthy habits in order for us to reach success, in order for us to reach those goals. It's okay to deserve something you believe in.

So tell yourself that it's never too late to kick start your workout. It's not too late to start investing in your retirement. It's not too late to start learning how to play the ukulele. It's not too late to take hula lessons. And it's never too late to go after your dreams. 

"Don't be defined by your past, your past is the tutor of you present and is always preparing you for new experience. Forget about disappointment or any past mistakes that is keeping you from moving forward. It's never too late for a new beginning."

No comments:

Post a Comment